We are working with Buckinghamshire Council to ensure that carers receive information about how to continue caring for their loved ones during this difficult time.

In response to a number of questions that we have received, documents have been produced and we are advising all carers to read these carefully as there is important information contained within.

Although not all of these documents will apply to your circumstances, we advise that all carers read them.

This is if the person being cared for funds their own care, advising of key contacts within the Council and the Community that you may be unfamiliar with.

Carers Bucks have been working closely with Buckinghamshire Council during this time and together we have created a list of the most commonly asked questions and answers.

Please refer to this before contacting the council regarding any of these issues. Please note that if your question does not appear on this list, do not hesitate to contact either Carers Bucks on 0300 777 2722 or the Adult Early Help Team at Buckinghamshire Council on 01296 383204.

It is essential to plan ahead and make arrangements regarding who will care for your loved one should you become unwell. The plan should be shared with others who may provide support and kept in a designated place so that it is easily found. If you have already completed an emergency plan please review this to make sure all of the information within is kept up to date. If you have any queries about how to do this, please call us on 0300 777 2722.

Below is more information from Buckinghamshire Council and select information from the Leader of Buckinghamshire Council Martin Tett’s daily update.

From “An update from Martin Tett, Leader of Buckinghamshire Council”

The lockdown situation will be having many knock-on effects in different ways for different people.  Many people may be welcoming a slower pace of life and more time with family, but I also know these restrictions, while absolutely necessary at the moment, may also be putting an extra strain on home life.

For some people, the added isolation, job losses and health concerns puts a lot more stress into the home and sadly may leave some people more at risk of experiencing domestic abuse. So during this crisis, it’s more important than ever that everyone is aware of the signs of domestic abuse and how to get support if needed.

I wanted to remind you that anyone experiencing domestic abuse can leave home and seek help, even under the current restrictions on movement.

Local domestic abuse services in Buckinghamshire are still offering support during the coronavirus emergency and there is also help available to people who want to control their abusive behaviour.

Please use the following contacts for any help and support and of course, if you feel you or someone you know is in immediate danger then please call the police on 999. If you’re unable to talk during this 999 call you can press 55 from your mobile and this will transfer the call to the police without you having to speak.

  • The 24-hour National Domestic Abuse Helpline is available on 0808 200 0247.
  • Anyone worried about causing harm to others can get help by calling the Respect Phoneline on 0808 802 4040 or go online here.
  • Wycombe Women’s Aid is on 01494 461 367 and www.wycombewomensaid.org.uk
  • Aylesbury Women’s Aid is on 01296 437 777 and www.aylesburywomensaid.org.uk.
  • Young people affected by domestic abuse can call Childline on 0800 1111 or go online at www.childline.org.uk, or can call SAFE on 0800 133 7938 or go online at www.safeproject.org.uk.

And finally, there is the organisation ‘Reducing the Risk’; info at www.reducingtherisk.org.uk.

From “An update from Martin Tett, Leader of Buckinghamshire Council”

Parents might be feeling confused about when to seek treatment for children for illnesses that aren’t related to coronavirus, especially with the current ‘stay at home’ advice and pressure on the NHS. But this is raising concerns that some people might not be seeking medical help when they should be, whether for themselves or for their children.

The Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health has produced this useful advice sheet for parents, with a symptom guide to help them decide which health services (whether GP, pharmacy, A&E or 999) to use if their child should fall ill or experience an injury.

From “An update from Martin Tett, Leader of Buckinghamshire Council”

This is something we are saying in every email but it’s so important we keep getting this information out to you. Our adult social care teams continue to keep checking in with all vulnerable residents we are aware of through this crisis, making regular calls, many daily. Please do tell us if you know of someone who might need our help. You can call the Adult Social Care team on 01296 383 402.

Buckinghamshire Council have a number of independent trained brokers with vast knowledge of registered care providers in Buckinghamshire. The brokers are able to work with you to give impartial support and help to find the right care to meet your needs. They will contact providers on your behalf and negotiate with them to make sure you secure the best price. They will then show you the different care options that meet your needs so you can choose the package that is right for you. During this current climate, there will be no charge for anyone wanting to use the brokerage support service to source a package of care.

GP surgeries are not allowing patients to directly book face to face appointments at the moment, to help stop the spread of the virus. Surgeries are, however, more than happy to discuss your case over the phone and to offer advice and guidance. In some cases GPs and nurses are doing consultations by video link, using mobile phones. If clinically appropriate, you might be able to attend the surgery for an appointment at an arranged time.

It is really important to stay well at this difficult time, so please contact your doctor if your child is poorly with any symptoms that cause you concern. With so much attention on coronavirus at the moment, we are aware you may be concerned your child has a different illness or may be living with a worrying condition like asthma or diabetes.

This information sheet gives very useful advice on when to use services like GPs, pharmacists, A&E and 999. Please remember – all health staff are still here for you, even if they’re having to do things a little differently, so please don’t be afraid to use them if you’re worried about your own or a child’s health.