Paying For Care

Paying for care is means tested, whether it is for care in the home or outside the home, including residential or nursing care and day care.

Paying for care in your home

This will take the following into consideration:

  • Your regular income including pension, benefits or earnings
  • Your capital – such as cash savings and investments (if you are paying for care in your home, this does not take your property into account)

Paying for Residential or Nursing Care

Whether or not you will need to pay for care will take the following into consideration:

  • Your savings and capital – over £23,250 and you will normally be required to pay the full cost of your care
  • Income including pensions & benefits
  • Some income will be disregarded such as mobility allowance and personal allowance
  • Property – if you own or have interest in more than one property it is very likely your capital assets will be over £23,250

Deferred payment agreements for long term care – this is an arrangement with Buckinghamshire Council that enables you to use the value of your house to pay for care home costs.

What happens to my home?

If you own the home you live in, this is normally regarded as an asset. It can be disregarded in the following circumstances if it occupied by:

  • your partner
  • a former partner who is a single parent
  • a relative aged 60 years old or over
  • a disabled younger relative
  • a dependent child under 18

Each case will be looked at on an individual basis. Contact Carers Bucks for further information.

Are you caring for someone?

Do you look after someone who cannot manage without you because they are ill, frail or have a disability? 

If so, you are a carer and Carers Bucks can help you.