Telecare is a term that describes equipment and services that support the safety and independence of the person you care for in their home. Telecare services range from a basic community alarm service using a pendant alarm that is able to respond to an emergency, to an integrated system that includes detectors or monitors (i.e to detect motion, falls, fire and gas) that trigger a warning to a response centre.

Carers Bucks works with Bucks County Council to raise awareness of the benefit of telecare to support carers in their caring role. We have a Telecare Adviser who visits our support groups to talk about and demonstrate telecare equipment. This can be followed up by an individual consultation and, if appropriate, a referral to Bucks County Council for an assessment for telecare equipment.

Contact us for more information on our Telecare Service or visit Assistive Technology – Bucks County Council.

Useful Links:

Buddi and Wristband Information

Buddi Clip Information

Telecare User Guide

Video: How useful devices have help in caring roles

Unforgettable aims to improve the lives of those living with memory loss and dementia by bringing together specialised products, practical advice and a supportive community.

Other Equipment

Different types of equipment can help you to care for the person you’re looking after, as well as help them to live independently.

Stairlift Reviews – Information about stairlifts. Also, take a look at their top 100 blogs from disabled people and carers relating to disability and getting older.

Equipment House – Information on what equipment may be useful around the house from Bucks County Council.

How you can find out about different equipment and who can help:

Occupational Therapy

A Social Worker or Occupational Therapist can make decisions about the equipment that would be most helpful for the person you’re looking after.  Decisions about the kind of equipment you may need will often be the result of an assessment of your care and support needs.

An Occupational Therapy assessment of care and support needs can offer:

  • Advice on managing the difficulties caused by physical disability
  • Equipment to help with daily living and personal care e.g. a raised toilet seat
  • Minor home adaptations e.g. grab rails and stair rails
  • Recommendations to District Councils or housing providers for major structural alterations to kitchens and bathrooms, stair lifts and ramps.

For further information on accessing visit Occupational Therapy referral from Bucks County Council or contact Bucks County Council Adult Social Care on 01296 383204 or email

Alternatively, you can contact Carers Bucks on 0300 777 2722 or and we can help make the referral for an OT assessment on your behalf.

Other organisations that can also offer help with equipment include:
  • Walking sticks or walking frames – from the physiotherapy service via your GP.
  • Small equipment to help with everyday tasks e.g dressing, food preparation or eating difficulties – local retailers who will advise on suitable equipment to assist.
  • Beds, cot sides, specialist mattresses and continence pads – can be accessed from the District Nurse via your GP.

Safe and Well – can help you whether you are young or older, disabled, a carer, or simply need some help at home due to age or illness. They can help you choose daily living aids or guide you to other local services which may help to make your life easier at home. You can contact Safe+Well on 0300 100 0247.

Equipment loans

Red Cross – loan out equipment such as wheelchairs.

Shopmobility – Shopmobility is a scheme where people can hire equipment such as wheelchairs and mobility scooters when visiting towns or shopping centres. There is Shopmobility in Aylesbury, Buckingham and High Wycombe.

Remap – an organisation that custom-makes equipment to help disabled people live more independent lives.

Sources of advice

Rica – an independent consumer research charity that produces information for disabled and older consumers.

Disabled Living Foundation – a national charity that provides free, impartial advice about all types of home adaptation and mobility products for disabled adults and children, older people, their carers and families.