1.  How do I apply for Carers Allowance?

Carer’s Allowance helps you look after someone with substantial caring needs. You don’t have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for.

You must be 16 or over and spend at least 35 hours a week caring for them. Carer’s Allowance is taxable. It can also affect your other benefits.

Find out more:

Find out more at Gov.uk

Find out more at Citizens Advice

Find out more at Age UK

2.  How can I get some respite?

Respite allows carers to take a break from their caring role. It can be for a few hours or days or for longer periods.

Care can be provided at home or in a residential setting. The care can be arranged in advance or in an emergency.

To arrange some respite you will need to contact Buckinghamshire County Council who will be able to assess what kind of respite will work best in your situation and tell you if you can get any financial help towards the care. Tel: 01296 383 204

Or visit: www.careadvicebuckinghamshire.org

3.  Why have flexible breaks stopped?

Flexible Breaks for Carers was a pilot scheme run between Buckinghamshire County Council and Aylesbury Vale and Chiltern Clinical Commissioning Groups since 2012.

However, as a result of the current financial pressures, the difficult decision has been taken not to continue running this pilot.

If you have health concerns, make an appointment with your GP. For information on getting advice, guidance or support as a carer you can visit; www.careadvicebuckinghamshire.org

Or contact:

  • Prevention Matters: 0300 666 0159, admin@preventionmatters.co.uk or visit www.careadvicebucks.org/preventionmatters
  • Carers Bucks on 0300 777 2722
  • If you are concerned about your continued caring role or the person you care for, contact Buckinghamshire County Council’s Community Response and Reablement team on 01296 383204 or email crr@buckscc.gov.uk

4.  What is continuing health care funding?

NHS continuing healthcare is free care for people who have significant and ongoing healthcare needs. It’s often referred to as CHC funding.

NHS continuing healthcare is provided outside of a hospital setting, normally in your own home or a care home.

When receiving care in your own home, the NHS pays for the support you need from health professionals as well as the cost of personal care. For example this might include help with washing and getting dressed. When in a care home the NHS will also pay your care home fees.

For further information on CHC visit www.careadvicebuckinghamshire.org or call Carers Bucks on 0300 777 2722.

5.  What care providers can you recommend?

We are unable to recommend specific Care Providers but information about the full range of care providers available in Buckinghamshire is available at

www.carechoices.co.uk/region/south-east/buckinghamshire/ or by visiting www.carechoices.co.uk

or call Bucks County Council on 01296 383 204.


6. What care homes can you recommend?

We are unable to recommend specific care home in Buckinghamshire but a full list of Care Homes is available at www.carechoices.co.uk/region/south-east/buckinghamshire or call Buckinghamshire County Council on 01296 383 204.


7.  Will I have to sell my house if my husband goes in to a care home?

Being part of a couple can affect a care home resident’s eligibility for local authority assistance with care home fees and both partners’ eligibility for social security benefits during the period in care.

If you own the home you live in this is normally regarded as an asset.It can be disregarded in the following circumstances if it is occupied by:

  • Your partner
  • A former partner who is a single parent
  • A relative aged 60 years old or over
  • A disabled younger relative
  • A dependent child under 18

Each case will be looked at on an individual basis.

Contact Carers Bucks on 0300 777 2722 for further information or contact Buckinghamshire County Council on Tel: 01296 383 204.

Age UK also has some useful fact sheets available at www.ageuk.org.uk/home-and-care/care-homes/paying-for-care-if-you-have-a-partner/

8.  What happens when my money runs out?

If your capital is likely to reduce to £23,250 you must let the Council know well in advance as they may be able to help with your care fees.  They must carry out an assessment of your situation and may make a contribution.

If you are in a care home and it charges more that the council can contribute, you must find someone to help pay the difference – a ‘top up’ payment. Alternatively you may need to find a cheaper home.  Understanding your rights before moving into care is essential.  Carers Bucks can provide helpful advise please contact us on 0300 777 2722 or contact Bucks Council on 01296 383 204.

There are schemes available to help people who are not eligible for financial assistance from the Council, but need care in their own home or considering moving into a care home.

There is a really useful section about Paying for Care (P.33) on the Buckinghamshire Care and Support Services Directory available at:


Advice on Financial Support is also available at www.careadvicebuckinghamshire.org

9.  What is power of attorney?

Anyone aged 18 or older who has the mental ability to make decisions for themselves can arrange for someone else to make these decisions for them in the future. This can be done at any time. This legal authority is called ‘power of attorney’. The person who is given power of attorney is known as the ‘attorney’ and must be over 18 years old.

Contact you’re your local solicitor or call Carers Bucks for further information on Power of Attorney.

Visit www.carersbucks.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/LastingPowerofAttorney.pdf

10.  What happens to the person I care for if I have to go into hospital or something happens?

One of the biggest worries for Carers is what will happen if something happens to them or for any reason they are unable to care.

Although we are cannot stop emergencies or situations that prevent someone from caring happening, there are some things that can be put in place to help ensure that there is help or people are aware of the situation to help put support in place.

Things to think about:

An Emergency Plan:
Having an emergency plan in place can be helpful in highlighting what steps need to be taken if you are unable to care.

The emergency plan helps you to think about:

  • who could be an emergency contact (please ensure that you ask the person first)
  • how you support the person you care for and what their needs are including any medication they need to take
  • How long are you able to leave the person
  • Do you already have someone that could help out in an emergency?
  • what support may be able to be put in place to help you

Having a plan has given many carers some reassurance about what steps can be taken in an emergency.
Once you have a plan, you may wish to share this with the people you have identified as the emergency contacts, family and friends so that they are also aware of what to do or who to contact.

Visit www.carersbucks.org/adult-carers/guide-to-caring/what-to-do-in-an-emergency/  for further information on Emergency Planning.