Different types of equipment can help you to care for the person you’re looking after, as well as help them to live independently.

What equipment can help?

Stairlift Reviews – Information about stairlifts. Also, take a look at their top 100 blogs from disabled people and carers relating to disability and getting older. 

Equipment House – take a look at the Bucks County Council website Equipment House for useful information to what may be helpful


How you can find out about different equipment and who can help:

Occupational Therapy

A social worker or occupational therapist can make decisions about the equipment that would be most helpful for the person you’re looking after.  Decisions about the kind of equipment you may need will often be the result of an assessment of your care and support needs.

An Occupational Therapy assessment of care and support needs can offer

  • Advice on managing the difficulties caused by physical disability
  • Equipment to help with daily living and personal care e.g. a raised toilet seat
  • Minor home adaptations eg. grab rails and stair rails
  • Recommendations to District Councils or housing providers for major structural alterations to kitchens and bathrooms, stair lifts and ramps.

For further information on accessing OT referral from Bucks County Council 

Or you can contact Bucks County Council Adult Social Care on 01296 383204 or via email

Or contact Carers Bucks and we can help make the referral for an OT assessment on your behalf

Other organisations that can also offer help with equipment include:

  • Beds, cot sides, specialist mattresses and continence pads – can be accessed from the District Nurse via your GP
  • Walking sticks or walking frames – from the physiotherapy service via your GP
  • Small pieces of equipment to help with everyday tasks such as dressing, food preparation or eating difficulties – local retailers who will advise on suitable equipment to assist.

Safe and Well:

Safe+Well can help you whether you are young or older, disabled, a carer, or simply need some help at home due to age or illness.

They can help you choose daily living aids or guide you to other local services which may help to make your life easier at home.

You can contact Safe+Well by phone: 0300 100 0247

Or via their website

Equipment loans:

The Red Cross loan out equipment such as wheelchairs

Click here for more information.


Shopmobility is a scheme where people can hire equipment such as wheelchairs and mobility scooters when visiting towns or shopping centres.

Shopmobility across Buckinghamshire:



High Wycombe 

Remap is an organisation that custom-makes equipment to help disabled people live more independent lives.

Sources of advice

Rica is an independent consumer research charity that produces information for disabled and older consumers.

Disabled Living Foundation is a national charity that provides free, impartial advice about all types of home adaptation and mobility products for disabled adults and children, older people, their carers and families.

Telecare & Buddi

We have put together a set of videos describing pendant alarm systems, and the Buddi safer walking device that are available to carers.